In this activity you will find more detailed information for the careers you selected in the Career Discovery step. This new information will be related to the tasks, abilities, knowledge, and salary of each career.
You will use the Center for Educational Technologies
® Career Information System or other online resources to find this information. Then, you will complete the Career Pathways worksheet with the information you researched.
- Computer with Internet connection
- Career Pathways worksheet
- Go to the Career Information System.
- Choose the Career Search link at the left side of the page.
- Type in one of your job titles in the Quick Search textbox and click "Go."
- Quick Search Results will appear below. Click "Add Job" to add the career searched to your Career Explorer.
- Repeat steps 4 and 5 for the other job title.
- Find one of the job titles under the Career Explorer section in the column to the left. Click on the job title to get the job profile, including the job description and information on tasks, skills, abilities, interests, and wages and employment.
- Fill the information in the appropriate spaces on your worksheet. You will need this information for later activities, so work carefully! Take the time to think about the information as you read it and record it on your worksheet. (Can you see yourself working and enjoying this career?)
- When you are finished with the information on your first career, start on your second career match to complete the Career Exploration section of your worksheet. You can switch careers by clicking on the job titles of the careers you added to your Career Explorer list.
A note on the Center for Educational Technologies ® Career Information System
The Center for Educational Technologies ® Career Information System is available to the public for free at www3.cet.edu/cis. This system consists of a database with more than 1,000 careers, links to thousands of universities offering training and education, and information about salaries and future projections of employment.