Students will be able to apply the following math skills for grades 5-8:
Microsoft Active Accessibility.
- Plot coordinates and measure distances using a map to identify possible impact locations on the moon.
- Use division to calculate the estimated time of comet impact from known speeds and distances (classic distance/time/rate problem).
- Interpret data from graphs and make informed decisions from this information.
- Calculate the area of a circle, known as the "zone of probable impact," using the area formula.
- Derive probability estimates from a ratio of one circle's area to another.
- Use problem-solving skills to develop a crisis management plan based on probabilities and time of comet impact.