| What is needed
- Videoconferencing system (a computer with a web
cam at a minimum)
- 4 Computers
- Software (free and available on the Internet)
- Internet link
- LCD Projector
- Printer (network, optional)
- Digital camera (optional)
- All computers (a student Research Team is optional)
are linked to the Internet.
- The Communications Team uses the
videoconferencing system as well as one computer that
requires the latest version of Microsoft Internet
Explorer. The videoconferencing system can be a dedicated
videoconference unit such as Polycom or Tandberg or
a computer equipped with a webcam, a microphone, speakers,
and videoconferencing software such as Microsoft Netmeeting.
- The videoconferencing system also
permits Mission Control to see the students during
the mid-mission and end-of-mission briefings.
The Volcano, Hurricane, and Evacuation Teams (Computers
#2, #3, and #4) require up-to-date versions of Microsoft
Internet Explorer or Netscape Navigator.
- All required software is specified
- A computer projection device and
a large screen located in the front of the room permits
the students to see the Mission Commander and watch
several videos during the mission.It is also helpful
for the students to see the "chat" window
on a big screen.
- A digital camera is valuable for
recording the excitement of the mission.
Note: A computer lab may
be too crowded. Typically labs are arranged in permanent
rows. This does not permit team communications or the
required flow of foot traffic.
Communications Team (2 students
in front of room)
If you have a standalone Videoconferencing system you
have to make sure it is connected using IP.
- 1 H.323 Videoconference System. (Either standalone
unit or computer based)
- 1 computer
- Internet link
- LCD projector
Hurricane, Volcano and (Optional) Research
Hurricane and Volcano Teams have between 4 and 8 students
and should be located on the sides of the room. The
optional Research Team should have between 2 and 4 students,
all located at the rear center of room. The technology
requirements for these teams are the following:
- 2-3 Computers (one per team)
- Optional Printer (network)
- H.323 IP Videoconference System: Get the IP number
from the Challenger Learning Center – WJU, plug
it in your system and dial at 384 kb
The other computer of the Communication team will be
used for the Student Board of communication. In the
Internet Explorer you will need to type the following